Urban Design Competition - Kaohsiung Port Station
The competition area includes the historic area of the main station with train tracks , which was built during the Japanese colonial period and represented the development source for the city of Kaohsiung with the opening of Kaohsiung harbor in the early 20th century.
This historic area has already begun in 1941 by the construction of the current main railway station in the new city quarter and it loses its developmentpower, and gave up his spirit in 2008 definitively as the Kaohsiung harbor was relocated . The aim of the competition is therefore the conversion of the site.
"Trans -Park" : The concept of work is to emphasize the historical significance , while improving the quality of life of surrounding neighborhoods by the historical structure and components are re-interpreted. This results in the mission statement, Trans - Park ' , which consists of several sub- concepts :
• harmony between " filled " and "empty ", " geometric " and "organic " : The parking area of the railway tracks is empty surface clearly defined by the orthogonal perimeter block as intended, and the organic blocks between the railway tracks strengthen the parkland
• Preservation of the train tracks as a basis for a mobile 'landscape' : The existing railway tracks are called " rails " for mobile park furniture such as café, kiosk , benches and planters reinterpreted.
• Networking of four "activity area" : living with different housing typologies , tourism with access to water , green space with various use zones , Art and Performances axis
• Compact but dense city with rhythmic view : Height development concept taking into account the topography
• expansion of the public transport network and the bicycle paths : The competition area is mainly designed as an area with little traffic .
• Expansion of the open spaces in a vertical system : Green areas between the railway tracks serve as temporary rainwaterretensionarea. Roof area as urban garden and collection area of rainwater.